Nollywood Actress Sentenced to Prison For The Death Dr. Suraj Lagos State Doctor.

Nollywood actress and former president, Actors Guild of Nigeria, AGN was involved in an accident on the Lekki-Epe Expressway, Lagos which led to the death of a Lagos State government doctor, Suraj Giwa in 2015.

An Igbosere Magistrates’ Court had sentenced Ibinabo to five-year imprisonment with an option of N100,000 fine for reckless driving and manslaughter which caused the death of Dr. Giwa.

  Late Doctor S. Giwa

She was later granted bail following an appeal filed by her lawyer, Mr. Nnaemeka Amaechina, and was to pay a fine. Ibinabo paid the fine and was to be left off the hook when the then Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner of Justice, Supo Sasore (SAN), felt unsatisfied with the judgement. The case was taken to the Lagos High Court.

At the Lagos High court, Justice Deborah Oluwayemi set aside the option of fine imposed by the Magistrates’ Court.

In her judgement, Justice Oluwayemi held that the trial Magistrate exercised judicial recklessness when he gave the convict an option of fine according to PremiumNews.

Justice Oluwayemi stated that the option of N100, 000 given to the convict did not serve the purpose of justice in the matter and subsequently ordered a refund of the N100, 000 to Ibinabo and sentenced her to five years imprisonment for dangerous and reckless driving.

The former beauty queen then approached the appellate court to uphold the earlier option of fine by the magistrate court which she had paid but returned to her but it was again dismissed. Ibinabo burst into tears as she was sentenced to five years imprisonment.

After 12 years, the actress gave her side of the story describing the different versions of the story in the media as 'false' and stressing that she never was drunk on the day of the accident which was what most media reports carried and she isn't a monster as depicted.

In a series of posts on Instagram on Friday, April 27, 2018, Fiberesima said she did not debunk the media reports when the incident happened out of respect for the family of Dr. Suraj Giwa, who died in the head-on collision accident caused by the actress. Fiberesima said she wanted the family to heal.

The actress also revealed that since 2005 that the accident occurred and amid the prolonged trial and her eventual conviction, she fell into depression and dealt with suicidal thoughts, but she got help through therapy, prayers, and support from family and friends.

She also mentioned the kept begging the deceased family till the end and she perfectly understands the anger felt towards her by the family. She thanked all parties who assisted in begging them too.

"My dearest friends and followers, I greet you this blessed Friday. Most of you may have heard about my sad story of an accident that caused the life of a beautiful and amazing human, Dr. Suraj Giwa.

Late Dr. Giwa

For 12 years, I have remained silent; internally mourning, grieving, and praying that time would heal his family and mine. Through those years of my silence, stories were manufactured in the mainstream and social media about the accident. There were so many stories.

My character was assassinated. I did not tell my story. Nobody heard from me, until now.

Please take a few moments to read the next posts as I share my story of what really happened and seek forgiveness, peace for both families. I finally got the courage to tell my story to Azuka Jebose.

It was a burden lifted off my soul. As you read, please continue to pray for the soul of Late Giwa, his family, and my family. Thank you for your supports and prayers. God bless you. May the soul of Dr. Suraj Giwa continue to be at peace. Amen.

Her Story. 

“ Dear Azuka,

I greet you. Thank you for allowing me to respond to your recent post here about my political ambition and the fatal accident of 2006. I need to tell my story. I stayed silent for so long and watched as my life, character, and person were being ruined in published reports, including social media. This is my story, told for the first time on social media platform.

My heart has never stopped aching. It will not. An accident took the life of someone. I am forever in mourning because of this. Two families’ lives have been changed forever with this unfortunate fatal accident. It was an accident.

Dr. Suraj Giwa didn’t have to die. I wished I could bring him back. I am sorry for the pains caused. I have also been maligned and disparaged in the media: I am a monster. I am a killer and a murderer, I am a drunk... No. Azuka. I am none of these.

I am just another human being that was in a deadly accident and the accident caused the death of Dr. Suraj Giwa.

It’s been 12 years of heartache, pain, and depression for me. My eyes are rivers of tears.

Some days I feel like killing myself. Life has no meaning to me.

I think about Dr. Giwa every day. I pray for his soul and I pray and seek forgiveness from his family for the pain and agony. I am very sorry.

It didn’t have to happen. I wished I knew it would happen that unfortunate day, I would not have travelled that road. I was not drunk that day.

Azuka, I was driving along Lekki road, returning home after picking up a friend’s daughter from a church Fellowship. Suddenly, a red car overtook the SUV in front of me. The SUV was travelling slowly, so I shifted to its front, too.

The red vehicle was being driven by a young man and had his friends with him…I drove past the red car. I think that might have angered the young chap because he swiftly sped from behind, drove past me, and made a sudden stop in my front.

I tried to avoid hitting those boys in the red car. I swerved and lost control in that moment, the impact dived my vehicle into inbound lane... Dr. Giwa was inbound, thus he drove into my car and both cars collided.

I collapsed and passed out... Three days later, I WOKE UP IN A HOSPITAL bed to learn what had happened. I was weak, sore, and in pain. I could not move my legs. I had been sedated for three days. Doctors said they had to sedate me to numb my pain.

Meanwhile, the police had been informed that I was in that hospital. The Lagos State Police came to the hospital to take my statement of what happened. After I gave them my statement, I was arrested at the hospital and charged to court.

At my court appearance for hearing, the judge noticed how sick, weak, incoherent an disoriented I was: he also saw my injuries. He ordered that I should be sent back to the hospital for further treatment until I was well enough to stand trial. I could not walk then.

Later at the hospital, I woke up from coma and to reality. I was afraid and shocked. I could not believe I was involved in an accident that had taken a life. I was like: Wow!... Someone died in that accident. Oh my God!. I didn’t know the family.

While I was in the hospital my family contacted the family of Late dr. Giwa who died in the accident. My family was there for the funeral and did everything during the mourning season. I was afraid. But I met them in court and tried to approach them.

I understood the anger and pain I had caused them, so I accepted their anger toward me….his sister was really angry at me… I wanted to talk to her… it was hard for me to get close to her… I understood all these: the pain and distress they felt as a result of the accident. I felt their pain. I wanted to tell them how sorry and remorseful I was… It was an accident. I did not intend to wake up that morning, went out, and had a fatal collision.

Weeks later, I was arraigned. I attended all my court appearances. During the process, I visited the family and attempted several times to make peace. I never ignored them. I am always sorry. I know the pain is tough, so I understood their anger but I kept begging. I am sorry.

I did not intend to wake up that morning, went out, and had a fatal collision.

I had gone to so many good people and friends to assist me in pleading for forgiveness from the family. One of such friends is the late Iyalode of Lagos. She assisted me in begging the Giwa family: when I became well and able to walk, she took me to The former Imam of Lagos and the Present Oba of Lagos: these traditional and religious leaders begged on my behalf, pleading with the family for forgiveness and showed how sorry and remorseful I was that the accident happened. I never ran away from the scene of the accident.

I was unconscious.

How could an unconscious accident victim remove plate license and registration papers from the vehicle as reported in the media? Why would I do a thing like that? How could I have done a thing like that?

Azuka, these were all lies manufactured and circulated in the media to tarnish me. Days after the wreck, I woke up in a hospital.

I was never drunk as being speculated and alleged. I was never charged for drunk driving.

I was charged for reckless and dangerous driving.

I am forever very sorry this accident happened. I never planned for it. I plead with the family. I reached out to the GO of the church where the late doctor’s wife worships to beg him to join me plead with her.

He was on a crusade in Benue and I went and met with him. I am very sorry it happened. I am not arrogant or careless. I have just been wrongly represented and maligned in the media.

The story has several versions that make me a heartless beautiful beast and monster. I have not said much because the family is bereaved. It hurts. I need to respect their sorrows and what they are going through: trying to explain myself, I thought,  would sound arrogant. So I kept quiet. I have been sorry from the moment I learnt the accident took a dear life".

Post a Comment